Go Study Canada

Go Study Canada works with a number of accredited schools and colleges in Canada that offer work-study opportunities. In fact, schools have many contacts with the job market and can offer targeted assistance in finding employment in Canada.

Professional courses, vocational or university courses, are held in universities or colleges. Below we explain the difference between the two. If you have any doubts, contact us: our services are completely free for international students.

Why choose a professional course?

Attending a vocational course will help to enhance your career path in Canada! This program allows you to obtain a certificate in the field you prefer. For example, marketing, business and hospitality. Vocational courses allow you to obtain a certificate in various fields including marketing, business and hospitality. During the course you will have access to a paid internship in a company. Enrolment also gives you the opportunity to obtain a work permit (20 hours per week).

Knowledge of English (or French) is fundamental to access these courses. You must have at least an intermediate level of English and if possible hold a certificate such as IELTS, TOEFL (or DELF). Go Study Canada can help you with enrollment in a professional course free of charge. If you do not have an adequate level of English, we can help you find a language course that will allow you to reach the level required by the college.


Speak to an expert

What is meant by “college” and “professional courses”?

Vocational courses are training courses offered by accredited Canadian educational institutions (colleges) that have a strong practical content and are designed to train you for a specific profession.

Canadian colleges are an excellent alternative to a university education and will orientate you more towards the job market. In Canada, you can choose from more than 8,000 courses at both private and public institutions. 

Also, college courses are shorter than university courses (one or two years instead of three or four), so if you already know what you want to do with your life, you can explore this option now. In addition, a professional qualification may be necessary and useful to undertake an immigration route to Canada. 

What are the types of colleges in Canada?

There are two types of college in Canada: 

  1. Career College (private college)
    they have more frequent start dates during the year, they can accept you even without a language certificate, they allow you to enroll with less notice and they have a lower average cost than public colleges
  2. Public college
    courses only start once or twice a year, require a language certification and at least 6 months’ notice, and cost more than private colleges, but less than universities.


  • The weekly attendance schedule is flexible and suitable for those who wish to work while studying.
  • Professional courses can be paid for in instalments.
  • For some specific professions, it is necessary to have a qualification obtained through a vocational course.
  • Vocational courses can complement and partially replace a university course, thus making the path to a degree cheaper and more job-orientated.
  • Colleges offering vocational courses in Canada often offer direct contact with the world of work.
  • Most professional qualifications obtained in Canada are also recognised in the rest of the world.


No post found!