Go Study Canada

The Study Permit for Canada is the visa you require if you wish to study for 6 months or longer. It is the only visa that allows you to both study and work in Canada. Go Study Canada will help you with all the paperwork required to apply for a Study Permit.

How can I obtain a Study Permit for Canada?

To obtain a study permit in Canada, you must:

  • Be enrolled in a course of at least six months at a language school, career or public college or at a Canadian university;
  • Demonstrate you have sufficient funds to pay for:
    – the course,
    – living expenses (accommodation, food, transport, etc)
    – various costs for yourself and any accompanying family members.
  • Not have a criminal record (self-declaration);
  • be in good health (self-declaration) and be willing to undergo health examinations if necessary
  • provide evidence of your intention to leave Canada at the end of your studies.

You must have a valid Study Permit before entering Canada.

NB: Since 2018 you also have to provide biometrics, that is your fingerprints and a photograph, which will be taken in a Visa Office


No post found!

Which courses can I attend with a Study Permit?

The courses you can attend with a Study Permit are:

  • English or French courses (ie, General English, IELTS/TOEFL/Cambridge Preparation, etc);
  • Professional courses (in career and public colleges);
  • University courses (Bachelor degree, Masters degree).


More than 30.000 students have traveled with Go Study 🙂

How long does the Study Permit for Canada last?

The duration of the Study Permit is related to the course of study you choose to attend in Canada + 90 days. The Study Permit is necessary for courses of 6 months or more. If you want to follow a shorter program you don’t need a specific visa: a tourist visa will be enough.

Can I work with a Study Permit for Canada?

Yes, it is possible to work with a Study Permit, choosing one of these options:

Off Campus Work Permit

The requirements are:

  • Have a valid Study Permit; 
  • Be enrolled in a course that is not a language course (the Study Permit allows you to work only if you attending a professional course or university);
  • Be enrolled in a course of 6 months or longer.

The authorization to work is automatic and there is no need to apply for a special permit. The student is allowed to work part time during the study period and full time during holiday periods.


Some study paths include a work experience as part of the course. If you have a valid Study Permit and you are attending a co-op program, you can ask for a work permit. 

To apply for a work permit you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a valid Study Permit;
  • Be enrolled in a professional course/college;
  • The desired job must be an integral part of your education in Canada;
  • Your job must be certified as part of your academic path by an academic officer at your institution;
  • your co-op or internship employment can’t be more than 50% of your study path (50% study / 50% work).

You cannot work if the course you are enrolled in is an English or French language course.