What is the Working Holiday Visa?
The Working Holiday Visa is a temporary work permit granted to specific nations that have bilateral agreements with Canada.
This visa promotes cultural exchanges between young people of different countries. The Working Holiday Visa allows you to work under the conditions of a Canadian citizen and to finance your experience of living and travelling in the country.
What are the requirements?
- Age: 18-35.
- Duration: 12 months.
- Renewable: No.
- Work: this visa allows you to work full time for up to 6 months; afterwards you have to be a tourist in Canada.
- Study: you can attend a course for up to 6 months, and there is no need for a Study Permit.
- Health insurance: mandatory to get your Visa, you must have one before entering Canada.
- Passport: you must have a valid Australian passport.
- Cost: $156 CAD.
- Proof of funds: you have to be able to show that you have $2500 CAD, plus the money for the plane ticket and health insurance.
I WANT MORE INFO
and speak to an expert!
How to apply for a Working Holiday?
Visit the Canadian Immigration Department website to download all necessary information and paperwork.
Do I need anything else to work in Canada?
You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). It is very easy to obtain, and you can get one from here.
How can I extend my stay in Canada after my Working Holiday Visa?
You can contact the Immigration Department (CIC, Citizenship, and Immigration Canada) by calling 1-888-242-2100 (within Canada) to check if you are eligible to extend your stay. If you do, you have to:
- Send in your request at least 30 days before the expiry of your visa.
- Leave Canada (i.e., entering the US) and re-apply for entry as a visitor at the Canadian Port of Entry. It is possible to stay for another 6 months in Canada, but you won’t be able to work during this time.